Throughout the Bible God is called the Father. Jesus often called God “Father”. God is the beginning of the parent-child relationship, and has blessed humans with the opportunity to experience parenting for ourselves. And through my experiences of being a parent to 6 children, I have been able to learn about parenting through God’s example, but even more than that, I have an increased appreciation for God as THE Father. Here are some of my favorite lessons of being a child to Father God:
10. Whining is really annoying. I’ve cut down on my complaining a LOT after realizing what I must sound like to God. (Imagine 2 billion whining kids!)
9. I can’t always get what I want, when I want it. But that doesn’t mean I won’t get it some day. I have learned to trust his timing. He desires to bless us, and he knows when the gift will be of the greatest benefit. Too early would be disastrous. (Imagine giving a car to a 9 year old!)
8. What I have does not equate to how I am valued.
7. Rules and boundaries are set for our protection, not for punishment or condemnation.
6. When we cross the boundaries we risk getting hurt, often do get hurt, and look for someone else to blame. Better to recognize the mistake, admit the mistake, and do our best to avoid making the mistake again.
5. He has only given us as much information that we can handle. Any more would be overwhelming. He has provided the perfect amount of knowledge on earth that we may always be challenged and equipped for growth.
4. We have made a big mess of things. The world was so nice and neat and perfect until we got here. But yet WE’RE WORTH THE MESS, or he wouldn’t have had us. (Though I have a greater respect for taking care of the earth since cleaning up after kids all day. Every day.)
3. He is watching over us, cheering us on, wanting great success for each and every one of us. There is no competition. No favorite child. But a special, unique relationship with each one. His wisdom is from experience, and the sooner we accept it and follow it, the faster we get on the best track for life.
2. God enjoys spending time with his kids. It brings him so much JOY when we take time out of our schedule to be in his presence. He really is there day and night, even 2am, 4am, 6am, however often you can get to him, he’s always there!
1. Unconditional love from a parent truly does exist. No matter what I do wrong, how horrible I am, what I destroy, or what mistakes I make, He still loves His children.
Thank you for mothers! Thank you for kids! Thank you for the awesome opportunity of learning more about you, by being a parent.
Thank you for the gift of LOVE, and for being the best parenting example we could ask for.
Happy Mother’s Day Mamas! Cheers to the lessons we have learned through the blessings of motherhood!